Tarts can be difficult and fiddly, this one isn’t. It looks very impressive and is so simple and delish!
Beetroot and Feta Tart
A fresh, light and beautiful tart which can be served either hot or cold.
- 1 Pack of Pastry (Puff or Shortcrust)
- 3 Beetroots Cooked
- 3tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 5tsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Red Onions
- 5 Sprigs of Thyme
- 2 Eggs
- 300ml Milk
- 2 Handfuls of Feta
- Heat Oven 190DC
- Roll out pastry to fit your pastry tin (thickness of a 1pound coin)
- Using baking beans, line the pastry with baking paper and blind bake it for 15mins. (If you don’t have baking beans use rice or coins). After 15mins take out beans/rice/coins, prick the base using a fork, brush with egg wash and bake for another 5mins
- Place Onions in a sauce pan and fry for a minute or so on a medium heat
- Add red wine vinegar and brown sugar
- Grate beetroot into sauce pan and stir well
- Allow to simmer for 15mins
- Whisk Eggs, milk and half the feta together
- Take out pastry and fill with onion and beetroot mix. Pour over egg mix. Sprinkle with thyme.
- Brush pastry with egg yolk for glossy effect
- Place back in the oven for 35mins or until the mix sets.