Good old Fish Pie. Great comfort food and a good one when it comes to feeding lots of hungry mouths!
- 1kg of Potatoes
- Milk and Butter
- 25g Butter
- 25g Flour
- 400ml Milk
- 4 Leeks Sliced
- Small Handful of Parsley Roughly Chopped
- Small Handful of Dill Roughly Chopped
- 3 Handfuls of Peas
- 6 Fish Fillets of your liking, mix and match, without skinless and boneless (Salmon/ Cod/ Haddock)
- 2 Handfuls of Prawns
- 5 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1 Lemon and Zest
- Handful of Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 1tbsp Mustard
- Bunch of Chives Sliced
- For The Mash
- Preheat your oven 200°C, get your potatoes in the oven straight away and bake them for 1hr whilst you make your filling
- Once baked, take the potatoes out of the oven and remove the skin (wear clean marigold gloves as they will be hot)
- Put the fluffy potatoes in a bowl and mash adding milk and butter, eyeballing to the consistency of your liking. For The Fish Filling
- Heat the weighed butter in a pot on a medium heat
- Once the butter begins to foam add flour and whisk
- Once you can smell the flour begin to cook, add your milk bit by bit whisking at all times to prevent any lumps from forming
- When the sauce is a thick and smooth consistency, remove from the heat
- Put a separate frying pan over medium high heat and dollop in around a tbsp of butter
- Peel the tough outer skins off the leeks and slice what’s left. Once the butter begins to foam, chuck your sliced leeks in and fry off for 3-4 minutes.
- Chuck your chopped fresh herbs, peas, half of your cooked leeks and zest your lemon into your white sauce
- Place fish inside of a baking dish and scatter your prawns over the top
- Peel and slice your hard boiled eggs and arrange on top of the fish
- Pour the white sauce over your fish, squeeze and sprinkle over the lemon juice and season generously with salt and pepper
- Place a layer of spinach on top
- Grate your cheddar cheese into your pre-made mash, season well with salt and pepper, add the remaining cooked leeks, your mustard and chives, mix well
- Spoon mash over the fish and white sauce mix
- Bake in the oven for 25mins until golden and bubbling
- Finally, whack the grill on full and place the fish pie under the grill for a few minutes to help it get a crispy top, keep an eye on it!
- Once you’ve got a crispy top take it out and serve with a delicious green salad on the side!
For a healthier version, Sweet Potato Mash works really well, just leave the milk out!